Why do we need breakfast?
- Breakfast is exactly what it says on the tin, it breaks the fast we have been in overnight. It is the fuel our body needs to start the day. Just like putting petrol in the car before a journey.
- Without breakfast our body is running on an empty fuel tank leaving us tired and hungry. This leads to snacking on foods such as energy drinks and chocolate which is unhealthy.
- Breakfast kicks off your metabolism and helps with weight management!
- Base your breakfast on starchy foods, such as bread and cereals. This will give you energy for the whole morning
- Try low fat versions of margarine, yogurt and try semi-skimmed or skimmed milk to reduce calories
- Always try to fit one of your “5 a day” portions of fruit and vegetables in to breakfast – do this by adding fruit to cereal, vegetables in omelettes, or wash down breakfast with a 150ml serving of a smoothie or 100% fruit juice
- Swap your cereal or bread to a lower sugar wholemeal version
- Easy Omelette - Try this delicious omelette for a tasty breakfast
- Mini Omelettes - These are tasty hot or cold and can be kept for 2 days in the fridge!
- Strawberry Smoothie - This deliciously fruity smoothie is a great way to get 1 of your 5 a day in at breakfast time
- Luxury Porridge - By adding fruit and yogurt to porridge this breakfast is delicious and filling
Speedy - in a hurry? Don't worry with these quick breakfast ideas
- Breakfast Bars - This www.nhs.uk recipe is a great way to grab breakfast on the go - without all the added sugar from a shop bought version!
- Breakfast Trifle - This fruity trifle is perfect for the mornings, it will help to kick start your day
- Overnight Oats - A fab alternative to porridge, prepare the night before to cut down on preparation time!