- Sugar is a form of carbohydrate – it gives a quick burst of energy;
- The calories it gives us are "empty calories", there is nothing in them that does us any good;
- Sugar can cause teeth to go bad and too much sugar can make us overweight;
- Added sugar is hidden in lots of food e.g. ready meals, cereals, bread, baked beans, the chart below shows the recommended maximum intake of added sugar (from Change 4 Life);
- Sugar can occur naturally in food (fruit, vegetables, milk) so we don’t need to cut down on this type. It is not added sugar.
- Other names of sugar are sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, hydrolysed starch and invert sugar, corn syrup and honey;
- Check ingredients on labels to see whether the food is high in added sugars;
- Anything over 15 grams per 100 grams is high. Between 5 grams and 15 grams per 100 grams is medium. Healthier options have 5 grams per 100 grams or less.
- Change 4 Life have launched a free Sugar Smart app - you download the app and scan barcodes to reveal how much sugar is in your favourite food and drink. For a great illustration have a look at this video
Download this resource: