Delicious scones with a fruity twist
- Kitchen scales
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring jug
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- 5cm cutter
- 350g self raising flour
- (plus more for dusting)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 85g low fat spread
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 175mililitres low fat milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 75g glace cherry halves
- Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas mark 7.
- Tip the flour into a large bowl with the salt and baking powder, then mix. Add the low fat spread; then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the dry mix, and then add the milk, vanilla and glace cherries. Mix well. Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out, fold the dough over 2-3 times. Pat into a round, about 4cm thick.
- Cut the dough using the cutter into 8 scones.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a baking tray until risen and golden on top.
- Serve with a dollop of low fat Greek yoghurt and some low sugar jam.
Try swapping the cherries with raisins or sultanas for a different flavour!