- Weighing scales
- Vegetable peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Wooden spoon
- Clean, damp cloth
- Measuring spoons
- Frying pan
- Measuring jug
- Ovenproof dish
- Oven gloves
- 5 large potatoes
- 2 leeks
- 2 courgettes
- 1 large onion
- 250g mushrooms
- 75g reduced-fat mature Cheddar cheese
- 45ml spoons semi-skimmed milk
- 50g unsaturated fat spread
- 10g paprika
- 300ml boiling water
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme OR 1 x 5g dried thyme OR mixed dried herbs
- 25g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan or gas mark 6.
- Peel the potatoes and chop into 2cm cubes.
- Place the potatoes in the saucepan and cover with boiling water. Turn on the hob to a high heat and bring the potatoes to the boil. Then turn the heat down and simmer (until just bubbling) for around 10–15 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Test they are cooked by inserting a knife into a potato, it should slide in easily.
- Wash the leeks and courgettes. Cut off the ends (top and tail), cut in half lengthways and slice into 1cm thick slices.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Wipe any dirt off of the mushrooms and slice into ½cm slices. Grate the cheese.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and mash them. Add the milk, half the cheese and half the spread.
- Turn the hob onto a high heat and melt the remaining spread in the frying pan. Add the leeks, onion and courgette and fry for around 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the mushrooms and paprika and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Measure 300ml boiling water into the measuring jug. Strip the leaves from the thyme (if using fresh) and finely chop.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan and stir well. Add the water and fresh or dried herbs and bring to the boil, until the liquid is bubbling. Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture into an ovenproof dish, allow to cool for a few minutes then cover with the potato mixture, sprinkling with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until the potato topping is golden brown.